Intellectual property is at the core of a company’s ability to gain competitive advantage, attract investment and innovate. A recent CREATe blog post shares research stating that “72% of hot tech start-ups in Europe believe that intellectual property (IP) has played a “major role” in their growth, but nearly that many say that small and medium enterprises (SMEs) need to know more about IP: 71% report that more training on intellectual property (IP) issues is needed among entrepreneurs.”
It’s not only SMEs that need to protect IP – as much as 75% of most organizations’ value and revenue source are in intangible assets, IP and proprietary competitive advantages.
How can companies educate employees and third-party partners about the importance of protecting IP? CREATe.org can help. CREATe has developed a 15-minute online eLearning course – An Introduction to Intellectual Property – that covers:
- What is IP? An overview of copyrights, trade secrets, design rights, patents and trademarks.
- Scenarios where employees could unwittingly compromise company IP
- Steps employees can take to help protect IP within an organization
- Interactive examples prompting the eLearner to consider specific examples of a company’s IP and consider ways to avoid IP theft and infringement
- Knowledge checks to increase retention and assess learnings from the course
The Introduction to Intellectual Property eLearning course is the first in a series that CREATe.org will be offering for IP protection. We will also be featuring courses on anti-corruption in the coming months. If you are interested in this or other courses, please email info@CREATe.org.