The Center for Responsible Enterprise and Trade (CREATe.org) was founded in October, 2011 with the mission of “helping companies and their suppliers and business partners reduce counterfeiting, piracy, trade secret theft and corruption.”
Towards that end, the CREATe.org team developed CREATe Leading Practices, which is comprised of two services, one for intellectual property (IP) protection; and the other for anti-corruption. These services are based on global best practices with input from corporations, think tanks, academics and others.
Over the past year, CREATe.org has built strong momentum for CREATe Leading Practices. Highlights of 2013 include:
- CREATe Leading Practices – the service: CREATe.org completed the development of two services: CREATe Leading Practices for IP Protection; and CREATe Leading Practices for Anti-Corruption. Each service offers assessments, benchmarking, practical tools, resources and guidance designed to help companies put management systems and practices in place to mitigate the risks of IP theft and corruption. CREATe Leading Practices is available in English, Chinese and Brazilian Portuguese. The Spanish-language service is coming soon.
- CREATe Leading Practices – the pilot: more than 60 companies have participated in the pilot of CREATe Leading Practices. The participating companies span geographies – China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, Brazil, Mexico, the USA and Europe – and also industries including aviation, information technology, consumer goods, chemical, and energy, among others.
- Global expansion: in addition to launching the CREATe Leading Practices service with companies around the world; CREATe also hosted events in Brazil, China, Taiwan, Europe and Mexico; and presented in webinars and at conferences.
- Research collaborations: CREATe launched a whitepaper on the topic of “Government Procurement Driving Responsible Business Practices”; and also continued a collaboration with the Stanford Global Supply Chain Management Forum, which included one of CREATe.org’s assessments as part of broader research designed to examine the business benefits of responsible supply chain practices.
- CREATe in the news: CREATe.org made headlines with articles in a broad range of publications including Foreign Affairs, Intellectual Property Magazine, Bloomberg BusinessWeek, Bloomberg BNA and others.
The coming year is already promising to be very exciting for CREATe.org:
- In early 2014, CREATe.org will complete the pilot and conduct the official launch the CREATe Leading Practices service.
- CREATe.org joins PwC to unveil a research project on the topic of the valuation of trade secrets.
- CREATe and CSIS will release a paper highlighting the business community’s role in fighting corruption and underscoring the need for companies to adopt effective business processes to address the issue. The goal is to provide information to local business communities that are championing change within their own markets.
- The results of the Stanford research will also be announced at Stanford University’s Responsible Supply Chains Conference in April.
- CREATe will be involved in several Ethisphere conferences, as well as other events in Europe, Brazil, China and Mexico.